Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ayurveda ~ Beauty Secrets from India




My interest in Ayurveda for health and beauty increased after I started seeing the amazing results coconut oil had on my hair and skin...

'Ayurveda' (the science of life & holistic treatment) is the ancient medical science from India which covers all aspects of life, including beauty. Ayurvedic treatment focuses on restoring the natural harmony of your body and mind.

In India, beauty is considered a blessing from God and is believed that it’s our duty to keep our bodies and mind, healthy and beautiful.

Ayurveda also aims at building a healthy lifestyle through methods of meditation, yoga, massage, herbal medicine and diet.

For beautiful skin/hair, many Indian women use home remedies that can be made right from your kitchen with products you already have on hand. These remedies promote natural health without the chemicals and keep you looking and feeling your best.

When it comes to beauty, glowing skin is a reflection of the inner healthiness and can be largely dependent on the kind of lifestyle one leads.

Some Ayurvedic beauty care herbs I use are:

~Coconut oil (My Favorite) - Best known to keep the skin soft and smooth, prevent premature aging and wrinkling, protect against skin cancer and other blemishes, prevent stretch marks and adds shine and moisture to the hair. (I use this everyday on my skin and hair)

~ Castor Oil – (2nd Favorite) Best known for healing minor wounds, burns, bedsores and cuts. Restores moisture and softens the skin, prevents stretch marks and promotes hair growth. (I also use this everyday on my skin and hair)

~ Amla Oil – Also known as “Indian Gooseberry” prevents aging and promotes longevity. Best known for its natural hair conditioning properties.  (I use this on my hair)

~ Henna –  Promotes hair growth and strength. Natural Hair color and has great conditioning properties. (I use this on my hair)

~Aloe Vera – Also known as the "plant of immortality” makes the skin look younger and prevent wrinkles. (I use this on my face)

~ Turmeric – Best known for its antiseptic properties. Cures skin problems such as: acne, hyper-pigmentation, dark complexion and skin damage. Also known to cure problems such as: conjunctivitis, burns, prostate cancer, diabetes, indigestion and asthma. (I use this on my face)

No comments: