Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Be Proactive


There’s only one book that I kept and can remember reading during my college years, that I believe has helped me tremendously in life. You’re probably saying, only one….. Well, there were more, I just didn’t keep or can remember any of them.   

The book I’m referring to is “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey.  Now at the time, I may not have utilized everything I learned from it, but I have re- read it several times since. Out of the 7 habits- I believe Habit 1 is the most important.
So what is Habit 1: BE PROACTIVE
In the book Stephen Covey says, “Being proactive means more than merely taking the initiative. It means that as human beings we are responsible for our lives.  Our behavior is a function of our decisions, not our conditions.”
Being proactive means your life doesn't just "happen." Whether you know it or not, it is carefully designed by you. The choices you make today, affect your tomorrow. You choose happiness. You choose sadness. You choose decisiveness. You choose ambivalence. You choose success. You choose failure. You choose courage. You choose fear. Just remember that every moment, every situation, provides a new choice. And in doing so, it gives you a perfect opportunity to do things differently to produce more positive results.
Every now and then I pull this book out and re-read Habit 1 to make sure I’m on the right tract. So if you never heard of this book or maybe you have it and never read it…. I challenge you to.
*YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree 100%. Great info!!!