Monday, May 16, 2011

Are You Addicted to Sugar





Have you ever tried to have 1 piece of candy, but end up eating the whole bag?
Have you ever tried to eat 1 bowl of ice cream & end up eating the whole container?
Is it a MUST to drink soda with all your meals?
Do you crave breads, chips, cookies……etc

Well you are not alone!!!    

                 Hello… My name is Bukola and I’m addicted to Sugar!!!!
I LOVE junk food…. Like ALL of it!! To the point that if I eat 1 piece, I can’t stop eating it… FOR DAYS!!
All my life I have struggled with my weight. Up & Down & Up again!
I tried everything….
The “Beyonce Diet” You know what that is right…Only drinking lemon water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper for like 2 weeks..   Yeah, that was a JOKE!!!
The “NO CARB” Diet… That just led me to crave more junk food!!
It wasn’t until I started to do a lot of reading & research on the possibility that I may be addicted to sugar.
The TRUTH… SUGAR IS ADDICTIVE!!!!
Think about it…
Sugar is everywhere!  It is advertised on television, at parties, in drinks, and hidden in many foods. It has been found to contribute to tooth decay, gum disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease, and some auto-immune diseases. It is the primary cause of obesity in both children and adults.
The over-consumption of sugar, not only affects your body, but your state of your mind!
Some claim sugar is a drug, and functions much like many other drugs by activating beta endorphin receptor sites in the brain, the same receptor sites that are activated by heroin and morphine.
Hmmm…
Have you ever tried to STOP eating sugar… It’s HARD right?
You get mood swings, headaches, nausea, anxiety, depression…WAIT, don’t drug & alcohol addicts get the SAME withdrawal symptoms?

Hmmm…
So what is the solution…Well, for me…. I QUIT!!!!
Just like alcoholics must stop drinking & drug addicts must stop using. I quit eating sugar… You’re probably saying…..Like forever? 

                                             YES, FOREVER!!
I finally came to the realization that I’m better off without it.
I have more energy, my skin is clearer, my hair grows faster, and I don’t feel bloated or weighed down!!

Sooo... Why am I eating it again?!?!
Now what to do, If you want to quit... where do YOU start?

 1ST by admitting that you have a problem…… Then discover alternatives!!

~ Learn all the sneaky names for sugar. Read food labels and get rid of condiments, sauces, and dressings with sugar in them.
~ Eat fruit. Fruit is a great way to eat something sweet, and control calories
~ Avoid artificial sweeteners. (I’m still working on this one)
~ Eliminate the white stuff. White flour, white rice, and white potatoes. These have the same affect on blood sugar as sugar, and this will make sugar harder to kick.
~ Avoid juice. Even 100% juice is sugar water in disguise. Drink water, and if you must, only a splash of juice for flavor.
~Try stevia
~Learn to use honey
~Limit alcohol. Alcohol is made from sugar & acts like sugar in the body
~Eat sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and brow rice. These are the foods to replace the white foods with.
As you get more and more comfortable with these changes, you will be able to cut back and eventually eliminate sugar from your life!!


No comments: